Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Tilllie with 3 "L"s - W.O.W. !!

Like I said, it was a busy day on November 19th.

Front and center, meet Tilllie, (with 3 "L"s)!

As we sat knitting, a young woman came over and took 2 hats - one was a beautiful bright pink hat, (made by Cattryn who you saw in the last post), and one was black with a striking green/yellow stripe, (made by my daughter Meghan). This woman told us her name was Maria and that she was taking a hat for her daughter (the pink one), and one for herself. She talked with pride about her daughter - about how she is going to school and making good choices for herself. So, I asked her if she might like to learn how to knit or crochet. She got very excited at that prospect, but told me that I needed to talk to Tilllie! So, not knowing who that was, I was led over for "a meeting".

Seems that 2 years ago, Tilllie was once a resident here at the HSC, but part of her plan to self-sufficiency was to join Americorps - like the Peace Corps, but the work is done here in the U.S. This led her to form a women's support group here at the HSC called Women of Wealth - W.O.W.!! They meet every Friday from 9:00 - 11:00 am. (We go to the HSC, every Friday from 9:00 - 1:00 , you can see the coincidence forming, right?)

Well, the mere mention of the possibility of teaching knitting or crochet to "her girls" had her singing "Halleluiah, and I don't care who knows it!" I explained our project and that we planned to be here through the end of January, and that, well, we were committed to coming to knit hats, but . . . . . To that, she replied, "Well, I'll just bring the women outside next Friday for a lesson!"

So, I guess, next Friday, the day after Thanksgiving - we'll be teaching some new ladies how to knit and crochet - says Tilllie, (with 3 "L"s).

No comments:

Post a Comment